Monday, April 1, 2013

Herbs: The Beginning

There are many flavors you can add to your dish when using herbs.  Dried herbs can help in a pinch.  No pun intended!! ha ha.  However, they can't beat the flavor and aroma when using fresh herbs.  You can find fresh herbs in your local grocery store but it comes at a price.  I find the herbs are often wilted and don't even look healthy enough to mix in your dish.  Who wants brown mint in your freshly made Mojito?  Dry shriveled basil on your Caprese salad, anyone?? NOPE!  I decided to give those so-called "fresh" herbs the finger.  My green thumb!!!  What did you think I was referring to?!

Even if you haven't had much luck at gardening, herbs are perfect for beginners.  What makes them even better, you can grow them indoors.  We live in a condo and unfortunately don't have the ability to garden.  But what we do have are beautiful windows that provide great light for our little herbs.

What to grow?

I kept it simple and decided to grow what I will use often.  It's my first time growing herbs and don't want to get ahead of myself.  I chose Basil, Cilantro, Parsley, Chive and Sage.  You can purchase herb plants or seeds.  I got a Basil plant and seeds for the others.  I guess I was feeling a little ambitious that day.  Also, you could purchase a couple plants to get you started if seeds are the route you're going to take.  It takes awhile to produce a plant, so don't expect to use your herbs for awhile.

What you will need?

You need to have a good spot in your home that gets at least 6 hours of light.  I chose our living room because we have 5 large windows that are perfect.  If you have a spot in your kitchen, thats even better!  You won't have to go far when cooking.

After you have determined location you can choose the type of pot.  I chose to plant in individual terracotta pots. Although, the plain looking pot wasn't going to satisfy this goat.  I bought chalkboard paint!  I kept the rust color inside to give a contrast in color against the black.  How do they look?

This really jazzes up the pots.  It gives it a rustic, DIY look.  Move over Martha Stewart!!!

Next, choose your soil.  Since your planning to eat what your growing, its a good idea to use an organic soil.  When you grow plants in containers, it's important to provide them with a high quality potting soil. What you're looking for is a soil that is loose and well drained. A popular mix for container grown plants can be made by combining equal parts of potting soil, peat moss, and perlite (or vermiculite).

Now you're ready to pot!
  1. Fill the pot with soil about three quarters of the way up.
  2. Moisten the soil lightly with water until moist but not wet.
  3. Remove the herbs from their containers, loosening the soil at the root base, taking care not to damage the roots.
  4. Evenly space the herbs in the pot and fill with enough potting soil to cover to the top of the root ball.
  5. Pat the soil down lightly and water well when finished.
If you're using seeds, follow the directions on the packet.

Here are my little herbs enjoying some sun.  It's been a week since I potted and already have little green sprouts in my Chive, Parsley and Cilantro pots.  Haven't seen any action from the Sage just yet.  "C'mon Sage, you can do it!!"  A little encouragement never hurt anyone! 

Stay tuned.....





No comments:

Post a Comment