Tuesday, March 19, 2013

March Madness!

I've been a "New England-er" my whole life.  We have a beautifully colored fall, hot and humid summer days, shovel until your back aches winters and "who knows what the hell will happen" spring!  Right now we are experiencing the "who the hell knows".  I'm sure wherever you live, there is something to complain about.  "The grass is always greener" In this case its true!  We don't have green grass yet. HA HA.  Clearly the weather has affected my ability to provide a good joke.  Moving right along...

It's been snowing, sleeting, raining, snowing again.  This type of weather makes you want to stay inside, snuggle with that special someone and eat delicious food.  I don't know about you, the eating something delicious is the most appealing to me at the moment (I know my boyfriend would agree!).  Here are a few things I am looking for.  #1: Must be warm!!  #2: A little sweetness never hurt anyone.  Lastly, #4: Simple.  After a long day of work in this weather, I don't want to spend the rest of my evening in the kitchen.  Still need to snuggle with my special someone ;)

The winner is...drum roll please...


I used Granny Smith apples because they were on sale this week at the grocery store.  But you can use a mix of another apple.
Peeled, cored, and sliced
Mixed dry ingredients
Butter, slowly added to dry ingredients to create a light crumb
I used Maple Walnut ice cream to serve with my warm apple crisp.  HEAVEN!!


Warm Apple Crisp
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 4 whole apples, peeled/cored/sliced
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ice cream, optional
  1. In a large bowl, combine first four ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press half into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish or a 9-in. square baking pan. Cover with apples.
  2. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and vanilla. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick and clear. Pour over apples. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
  3. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm, with ice cream if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment