Thursday, March 7, 2013

Rate That Restaurant!

It's time to play Rate That Restaurant!!!!  
Today's feature: Not Your Average Joe's.  

WARNING!!! Please be advised opinions that may differ from your own will be expressed.  Statements below have not been collected in a survey or any official capacity.  They are what they are, opinions.  Nothing more, nothing less.  "Bahhhhh"



Since this was my first time rating the restaurant I wanted to keep the meal very simple.  All American cheeseburger.  I decided on the burger for several reasons.  One of which was simplicity.  In my opinion, if a restaurant can't handle making the simple stuff how will they handle the Filet or some various seafood dishes.  This is where a lot of restaurants go wrong.  Attempting to keep up with higher end establishments, chain restaurants seem to flop in my experience.  They spend so much time creating the "new and cool" trends they lose all focus on basic menu items.  OYE! I can go on forever with this topic.  But lets get back to the burger.  The burger was called "backyard burger".  The description states "hand-formed daily and served on a toasted roll".  You have your choice of: american, blue, cheddar, swiss or pepperjack cheese and country bacon.  I chose american to go on my burger.  Why you ask?  Think to yourself about the number of people in our country that go to McDonald's or Burger King.  What kind of cheese do they use? American or more officially called, processed cheese!  Certainly a better quality cheese like cheddar or a pepperjack can compliment the flavor of a juicy burger.  However, I look at it as a sit down restaurant that makes "hand-formed" burgers daily can't make a halfway decent burger even WITH a tiny slice of processed cheese, well they are no better than your local fast food joint.

Footnote: I did in fact dip a fry in the ketchup and put the 2 pickles on the burger before taking the picture.  You'll never meet a dishonest goat



Lets start off with the cons first.  I never like to end on a negative note

Cons:
  • The claimed "toasted roll" felt like I was holding onto a stick of butter.  You most certainly can toast a bun without using that much grease.  A burger in general isn't the healthiest menu choice.  But why make it worse?  A little more bread and a little less "Slick Rick".
  • So much for that "tiny piece" of processed cheese! There were 2 thick pieces. I did manage to scrape off a good amount.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE CHEESE.  However, even a great quality cheese should not over power the burger.  Sorry for the person that ordered a grilled cheese, I got your cheese!!!
  • Although just a side, the fries could have been better.  Who doesn't love that crisp outside and soft potato inside of a glorious fry?!  Not here!  The fries were a little soggy and on the cold side to boot.  Burger and fries compliment each other well when done right.  It's a marriage like no other.  Too bad I couldn't experience this blissful matrimony.
Pros:
  •  Kudos to the crispy lettuce, tomato and pickle accompaniments! I do love the cool crunch aspect of a burger.
  • The hamburger itself wasn't bad.  I ordered it medium.  It was a little closer to the well done side for my taste  (you can't tell by the picture because half my burger was brown and the other had slight pink; uneven cooking)  But the meat itself wasn't greasy and although it didn't have an amazing flavor it wasn't tasteless. 
Overall I give this burger a 5 out of 10.  I've had better, but certainly had worse.  Maybe they should change it to "middle of the road burger". 

No comments:

Post a Comment