Sunday, March 10, 2013

White bean ravioli topped with spinach, goat cheese and bacon


I'm starting to get hungry.  How about you?

If you don't know by now, I love to cook!  Nothing gives me greater pleasure than cooking for my family and friends.  Creating something that makes others happy is more gratifying to me then anything else.

Food can represent so many things to us.  It's no longer just a means for survival. Smelling a fragrant aroma or eating a particular ingredient can bring on memories of that trip to Europe or holiday you spent with family and friends.  Meals were important part of my family growing up.  We had traditional sit down dinners while discussing our day to day.  It also meant I wasn't able to leave the table until I ate everything on my plate!! I wasn't always open to all food.  I spent many hours alone awaiting my punishment because I was too stubborn to eat those pesky vegetables.  Ironically enough, there isn't a food I wouldn't try now! 

This new pasta adventure started with my boyfriend.  He loves pasta!  A few weeks ago I made Ricotta and Spinach Stuffed Shells (don't worry, I will post that recipe soon!).  Those shells didn't stand a chance against him.  Half the dish was gone before I could say "How are they?"  Proud that my food made him happy, I was anxious to create the next meal.

I recently purchased a ravioli press and couldn't wait to try it out.  Once you get the dough part down, it's very easy to experiment with all the fillings.  I could of easily done a classic cheese but decided to indulge my creativity.

Let the adventure begin....



Ravioli Dough (using ravioli maker and press)
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup water
  • Flour for dusting
  1. In a small bowl, beat eggs.  Add water, oil and salt and mix together.
  2. Add egg mixture into mixing bowl.  Slowly add flour until dough is formed.
  3. On a lightly floured work space, knead dough until smooth.  Roll out until thin and translucent.  Dust lightly with flour.  Use the ravioli maker or press as a template to cut out strips for both the top and bottom of ravioli.  You should get 4 rectangular strips each about 12" x 4"
White Bean filling
  • 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan 
  • 1/2 tablespoon chives, chopped
  • 1/4 cup caramelized onions, finely diced 
  1. Puree cannellini beans, egg, balsamic vinegar and parmesan
  2. Add caramelized onions to bean mixture
Ravioli assembly
  1. Place one strip of dough over the frame. 
  2. Press dough into frame with the indented tray.
  3. Fill pouches with white bean filling.  Place a second strip of pasta dough over strip with filling and press strips together with your fingers.
  4. Seal by running a rolling pin over the top of the dough covered frame, gently at first and then increase pressure until the zig-zag edges of the frame are visible through the pasta.
  5. Remove ravioli from frame by tapping on counter.
  6. Trim out squares using a ravioli wheel or knife.  Remove excess dough and re-roll.  Repeat procedure until dough and filling are used.  Place ravioli on a heavily floured cookie sheet and let dry for 1 hour.  Turn over and let dry another hour.  (If you want to make the ravioli ahead, freeze at this point.  If frozen, make sure to thaw before cooking)  Cook ravioli 8 minutes or until tender (cooking time will vary with thickness of dough)
  7. Drain and place on serving platter.
  8. Drizzle with olive oil
  9. Add spinach on top of ravioli.  Crumble goat cheese and top with crispy bacon pieces.
Spinach, Goat Cheese and Bacon topping
  • 4 cups baby spinach
  • 3 cloves of garlic, diced
  • oil for sauteeing
  • 4 tablespoons of goat cheese, crumbled and set aside.
  • 6 strips of bacon
  1. Saute baby spinach until wilted.  Remove from pan and roughly chop.  Put back in pan and saute with garlic.
  2. Bake the bacon until crispy (I cook until almost down, dry on paper towel and then return back to pan to continue cooking).  Once at desired crispness, chop into bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment